Tuesday 26 April 2011

Xoom Wifi Proxy Settings

We have wifi at work. I can log in and get myself an IP address. But still no Internet?!

I used the new Xoom to muscle my way in to the IT Crowd's office and posed the problem. The answer..? I forgot the proxy details of course!

Easy solve you think. Except on the Xoom wifi you can't see the proxy settings to add this information. Motorola are doing their upmost to stop Xoom wifi owners, using wifi! I will rant about the inability to join adhoc wifi hotspots in a future post...

Anyhow it has been solved but I found some really weird bugs. I found details on this page of how to use hidden web proxy settings on Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablets. Here are my updated instructions and comments.

  • Download and install the "AnyCut" app from the Android marketplace.
  • Open the AnyCut App, and Choose New Shortcut
  • Select the “Activity” item from list
  • Currently the app does not support the Xoom so you only see a small screen.
  • The list looks empty, but it is NOT. The first few activities have no name.
  • Scroll down and the activities will appear.
  • Go down to “Proxy Settings” and tap to Select.
  • Name the new shortcut “Proxy Settings” or whatever you like, and click OK.
  • The shortcut must have a name but you can use a single space if you want plain mini icons on screen.
  • You now have a new icon on your home screen, which will open the Proxy Settings menu when tapped.
My problem was that the proxy setting did not appear after doing all of this. So I restarted the Xoom and clicked on the icon. It worked. Then a few minutes later it didn't. What?

After several reboots and some messing around I have found out that it works fine, but the moment you have clicked on any other settings it will not appear again. You can get it back in two ways. Firstly you can shutdown and restart the Xoom. Secondly you can go into
settings/applications and under running sevices stop the "Settings" process. It closes and then you can click your icon to open the proxy setting again.

Sort it out Motorola. What a faf.

I have even more! I then though why not get my hands on BetterCut. The paid version of AnyCut. Don't bother and the proxy icon generated through this app does not work at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment